Thursday, March 31, 2011

Cracks

For Velvet Verbosity's 100 Words Challenge. This round's word of inspiration is VOICE.

He earned his living with that voice, hosting radio shows featuring oldies or lonely heart dedications. Deep and enveloping, immediately familiar. Equal parts thunder and romance. And always strong.

He paid our bills with it. Put food in our bellies, put our green asses through college. Put the fear of God in us.

I never knew it to show weakness, even when Grandma died.

Until we spoke today. Over the hollow line, it was time his only daughter knew the severity. I could hear the cracks, like sugar glass. Unsure if it was in his voice, or from within me.

14 comments:

Stacy said...

Stop doubting your abilities, girl. You paint a verbal picture very well. :)

Unknown said...

I was going to say "well done" - until I read the comment above. From Stacy Lynn.

You have a nice, clear, 'voice'. Don't doubt it - don't question it - just go with it. Why on Earth would you question your abilities?

Myne said...

This is indeed very good writing. I look forward to your posts for the AZ challenge.

Coffeypot said...

I hear voices, too. Very strong ones. I think I need to rething my meds...as soon as I find my gun.

Rebecca said...

Who's better than you missy? ;)

Lance said...

The last paragraph is perfection. I like the sugar glass line...awesome.

excellent entry clew

Teresa Kander said...

AMAZING entry...I was teary-eyed at the end! You have a marvelous voice that deserves to be heard.

Anonymous said...

Very poignant - something I can relate to at this point in my life. Thank you.

Aurora Lee said...

wonderfully written and descriptive. GREAT work! :)

Anonymous said...

I loved the sound of hollow line, perfect for a blurb on a voice.

barbara said...

well stated - the hollow line - haunting. Thanks!

VV said...

Favorite line: "I could hear the cracks, like sugar glass".

VV said...

Compact, efficient, and wholly potent.

Anonymous said...

Brava! That's some damn fine writing.

Love the idea of the 100-word challenge.