Thursday, May 05, 2011

Erasure

After a short respite, I'm returning to Velvet Verbosity's 100 Word Challenge. This week's prompt is FAMILY - I didn't use the word within my piece, but felt I need not.


After spending the past week disbursing death certificates and helping Mom update their accounts, I had a squinchy feeling of remorse deep within. As if we were erasing him from the world.

His ashes have now reached Colorado, where my brother will scatter them in the mountains. We'll have no grave to visit. Not that I would anyway. Still, it somehow bothers me no one will ever be standing somewhere and know he was here - even strangers.

Such a ridiculous fret. We know. Dad reaches beyond monuments, beyond his own mortality. Blossoming through us.

9 comments:

Stacy said...

I think it's just part of the make up of humans to want some part us to carry on and be remembered.

How are you hanging in there? Been thinking about ya and keep the prayers going up. Love you. :)

By the way, love my word verification..."cousein." Is that the child of Sadam's aunt? ;)

karen said...

Thanks for visiting my first attempt at 100 words. I can feel your 100 ... my mom is end-stage emphysema and so far it's been a very messy 8 months ... and weirdly enough, as much as I know how it ends, we don't know how it ends, know what I mean?

It is hard to go through the letting go part, regardless of the relationship ... nothing is ever perfect, eh?

Anyway, my thoughts are with you. Your 100 words are beautiful.

Coffeypot said...

I had a friend who's wife died and was cremated. He took some of her ashes and mixed them in with her favorite house plant. He said that as long as that plant was alive she would be too. The ashes helping the plant to grow. Part of her in a living thing. I thought that was pretty cool. Get you bro to send you some back and place them in a plant. If ya wanna!

barbara said...

this is a lovely piece, Clew. I love your last lines - that you dad is reaching beyond monuments and blossoming through you.

in deed, my friend, indeed.

blessings

Yve said...

Ah, I love all the ideas you presented in this piece! Seriously wonderful. Already can't wait to read your entry next week.

Tara R. said...

My father's wish is to be cremated. I fret about this too.

Beth Zimmerman said...

Not sure I could limit myself to 100 words! Well done! I think all of us want to leave something that says we were here ... as parents ... that's our children! Your dad doesn't need a stone. He left YOU! :)

Tessa K. said...

Very touching for anyone whose lost someone close - you get so much of the feeling into these brief words!

VV said...

It is often difficult for me to know when someone's entry is fiction or non, and if true, how recent. I saw your comment on another blog and I understand your loss was recent. I'm glad that you were able to take this exercise and make it a tribute to your father.

I am sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing so honestly with us.