Tuesday, February 03, 2009

New Decade

I had a significantly important milestone birthday yesterday. And I feel pretty chipper about it! Getting older has never much bothered me, which I figure is a blessing considering so many people fall into a grumpy funk when they reach certain ages. As for me - I'm alive, I'm healthy, I'm blessed, and I only have one or two gray hairs ... what's not to be pleased about?

I've decided to take on a project this year starting with my birthday as day one: I'm going to make a 365 scrapbook. The idea is to take one photo a day for a year: Important, mundane, subjective, abstract, whatever - but one picture a day, specifically for this project. Then scrap them in groups of 7 days (on a 2 page layout) complete with a little bit of journaling for each one. It's just a little blink of a moment of every day for that year. I thought this big birthday year was a great point to try this. Someday when I'm twice this age (if I'm lucky enough to still be alive and functioning) - I can look through it and marvel at how young we were today - and how interesting the otherwise unnoticeable fine details of everyday living can be.

Of course, it will take the deceptively tricky commitment of actually taking a photo every day. For 365 days straight. And I already forgot to take a picture yesterday - on the VERY FIRST DAY! In my typical fashion, I'm off to a roaring start. So, don't tell anyone yesterday's picture is actually from today. Okay? Thanks.

4 comments:

coffeypot said...

First of all, Happy Birthday a day late. I think that is a great project, but for me I would have trouble deciding what to take a picture of. There is more than one thing going on in my life each day and I would probably miss the moment trying to find the camera. Then I could have several pictures to choose from, and what would I write about for each picture.

I could take a picture of the bathroom and write down, “Pissing.” But would I care about that in twenty years - when I will probably be wearing Depends anyway? And doing the everyday…by Friday I would have crammed the whole thing in the trash can and gone back to the television.

Good luck and have fun.

onebrick said...

Happy Birthday! Late. I knew it was coming up, but my computer was down for a couple of days.

The photo idea is great. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Shawny Sun said...

Happy birthday. That's sounds like an awesome idea.

marey said...

I tried to do the 365 Project but missed so many I gave up! LOL I may go ahead and start again on March 1st and see how I do. Would love to see some of your daily pics :)