Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Stinky Dog


Most Beautiful Dog was out on the back 40 for his evening patrol when we noticed he was barking and carrying on. This happens on occasion, but what really got our attention was the pungent smell of either old burning tires ... or a skunk.

I went out with a flashlight to investigate and sure enough, MBDog was circling our flatbed trailer, giving a darling young skunk underneath what-for.

As my longtime blogging friends will recall, MBDog has been skunked twice before - and I always make sure I have the proper ingredients on hand to make a batch of deskunking shampoo. I went in the house to draw a bath and mix the potion.

By the time I came back out, MBDog was carrying the poor lifeless thing around in his mouth in a victory parade. :( Ugh. I was really hoping he'd just bark at it and not figure out how to get it.

I recruited Hub to help me get the critter away from MBDog and dispose of it while I hauled him in for a scrubdown. Along with the revolting stench, he was smattered with blood smears. Yuck. I got him cleaned up and tended to his wounds. The baby skunk's fighting demise made me sad, but MBDog was just doing what a hunting dog does.

MBDog is now fresh as a daisy and snoozing on the couch. I, on the other hand, smell vaguely of old burning tires, and decided this was a good time to remind my dear friends of my beloved lifesaving Deskunking Shampoo recipe, should it ever be needed.

  • 1 qt. of 3% hydrogen peroxide (the common drug store variety)

  • 1/4 cup of baking soda

  • 1 teaspoon of dishwasing liquid

(MBDog is a shorthaired dog weighing about 75 pounds, and this quantity is just about right for him. Adjust your quantities accordingly if you have a larger or furrier dog)

Mix all ingredients and use immediately. Wet dog's fur and lather in the shampoo mixture thoroughly and generously, taking great care around the face not to get it in the mouth, nose or eyes. Let mixture sit for 3-4 minutes, rinse. Repeat if needed. If desired, follow up with a bath of baby shampoo or other gentle cleansing soap - this will prevent skin irritation.

Hope you never need it!

8 comments:

Coffeypot said...

I think that in the future when you hear MBD barking and you go to investigate, carry a shotgun with you. The skunk was going to go to that great perfume factory in the sky anyway and a shell on cost twenty-five cents. That way there is no odor. The least you could have done for MBD is let him eat his quarry. He was proud of his kill and wanted to show you, too. Good doy, MBD.

Christine said...

I know it is unreasonable to get angry at these dogs and their instincts but personally I am getting darn tired of coming home to bird guts and feathers all over my family room. I must have the dumbest birds in the world in my neighborhood because I can't imagine how my two ten pound toy dogs keep snatching them up for lunch.

In the meantime, I wrote down your skunk remedy. I fear it is just a matter of time. sigh.....

Martie said...

I feel for you, Clewy! We've been through that twice, too! And I did use your posted remedy and it does work well. Hopefully we won't ever have to use it again. Hugs!

Nerdy said...

Funny how another friend JUST blogged about skunks in her yard the other day. What is going on up in the big white north after I leave? A skunk invasion?

Anonymous said...

I saw Bear eat a skunk on The Discovery Channel recently. He said it tasted like steak grilled in dung. Don't quote me...Doesn't sound too good. I hope that I'm never stranded and must eat skunk. I would probably try bugs first. I sure do like our grocery stores.

Anonymous said...

lol that dog can get into some adventures can't it!

Coffeypot said...

Miss Clew, is Cindydianne your real sister or just one of those girl bonding feminine things? You called her sis in her blog.

Coffeypot said...

OOPS! Sorry! Senior Moment! I meant chesneygirl - not cindydianne.