Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Christmas Countdown via Ornaments

My BFF Chesneygirl stole a great idea from her blogpal Onebrick, and is posting a photo of an ornament from her tree every day in lieu of "regular" posts during the scrambly holiday season. I love this idea and am going to adopt it as well. Which should be very exciting for my 2 readers I have left.

Like Cg, I have a hodgepodge tree - and other than the usual glass globes, each ornament has its own memories. Just for fun, I'm going to post two of them today. We'll call them the first and second ornaments of Christmas :).


The First Ornament of Christmas:
Peppermint Stick


This is Peppermint Stick. My Mom got him for me when I got my first apartment, because I have always loved bunnies. He is my official first ornament of my very own. Even during the years when I didn't put up a tree, Peppermint Stick always got hung somewhere - in a doorway, on a curtain rod, or from a string of garland. I love him to pieces! This year is the first year ever that someone other than I got to hang him up. Yes, Incrediboy did the honors. I must love that kid very much. :)


The Second Ornament of Christmas:
Santa's Boot


Admittedly, this boot looks rather pretty in this picture. But believe me when I tell you it's the cheapest piece of painted plastic crap that you'd probably ever set eyes on. I bought this and several other ridiculously chincy ornaments the first Christmas Hub and I spent together. We were super poor, having just bought our first house, and had a silly little 3 foot tree. I bought a bunch of cheap ornaments at the Dollar Store for 5 for a buck - just to have something to hang on our tree. We always said that after we'd settled and built our lives a bit, we'd throw out these cheesy plastic junky things and just hang nice ornaments. But I still hang this and all the others every year. They are part of our history, and part of our wonderful memories.

4 comments:

chesneygirl said...

Very lovely!

I think the peppermint stick bunny has a sweet story. :)

Coffeypot said...

I have enjoyed chesneygirl's, and now your, pictures of Christmas ornaments. But I would prefer to see nude pictures, preferably with your girlfriends, lying under the Christmas tree. What say you? I mean, it’s in keeping with the SHARING part of the holidays.

Anyway, have a Merry Christmas, sweetie… you, your family and your friends. I’ll just use my imagination.

Jenny said...

Sweet.

I have no tree this year. I don't think I had one last year, because I SUCK. Too damn busy.

Oh wait, I do have an awesome glass one. Maybe I should post a pic of that?

Later. I worked 11 pm -7 am last night and my butt is not moving right now.

You must have Hoff ornaments, such is your love for him, so post them next!

= P

Anonymous said...

Ches told me to come over and check out your ornament pics. That bunny is too cute and the plastic crap? LOVE IT! Wait till you start collecting all those fabulous ornaments made by Incrediboy....the macaroni, the paper hands, the recycled cards. I've got enough to do a whole tree of nothing but. Priceless.

Anyway, Merry Christmas!