Monday, November 20, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving!


As my time on line has been scarce lately, I thought I'd repost my reflections of this holiday from last year. Enjoy your time with family and friends, and be safe.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
TRADITIONS
REMEMBERED

Original Post Date November 2, 2005 - Edited Appropriately
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Between the dazzling sensory-overload seasons of Halloween and Christmas lies the warm, comfortable hominess of Thanksgiving. As this time of year once again commences, I’m looking forward to time spent with family – and am also looking back.

My grandparents lived an hour away from us, and while visits were frequent they were always a special and highly anticipated occasion. Even our beloved border collie would spring to the windowsill with excited whimpers at the query, “Where’s Grandma?”, looking in the direction from which their immaculate Skylark would arrive.

By tradition, Thanksgivings were spent at my grandparents’ house when I was little, and in my heart the memories of those times are what define Thanksgiving for me. My Grandma was a tiny lady with sparkling blue eyes. She was the kind of lady who always wore necklaces that looked like some sort of hard candy, and sundresses with a fuzzy white cardigan sweater, be it January or July. She wore thinly applied pink nail polish and usually had a rubber band or two around her wrist, just in case she might need them. She used words like davenport and pocketbook and billfold, and found complete and joyful fulfillment in her life’s role as a housewife.

My Grandfather (we always called him “Gramps”) was strong and soft and full of warm hugs and deep laughter. He smelled like shaving cream, and always had a twinkle in his eye behind his horn rimmed glasses, as if enjoying a private joke. He’d let us beat him at checkers, and would save pennies for us, rolling them in brick-red paper tubes. He was kind and generous, and everyone who knew him loved him.

By the time we’d burst into their house with all of our noise, Grandma would have already been up for hours, happily cooking and whistling. The house would be full of the delicious smells of roasting turkey and homemade gravy and stuffing (never store bought, always from scratch). Oatmeal-date cookies and a bowl full of mixed nuts in the shell would always be at the ready, and a candy dish full of chalky pink peppermints on the coffee table. Gramps would have the football game on, though no one would really pay much attention to it for being busy visiting.

Grandma would need Gramps to help her lift the big roaster (with the chip in the enamel from when Dad shot at it with a beebee gun when he was little) several times throughout the day. She’d meticulously baste and fuss over a much-too-big bird, and supervise as it would be tucked back into the oven for a while. Mom would help with whatever Grandma would need help with, and somehow everything always managed to be ready at the same time. We’d laugh and share and reminisce while eating too much because we couldn’t help ourselves with Grandma’s good cooking. After dinner, Mom and Grandma would rattle away in the kitchen with cleanup chores and Dad and Gramps would doze in the living room. My brother, long and lanky, would stretch across the floor and watch football as I went to my special drawer in Grandma’s writing desk and got out the Silly Putty and comic books. In a few hours, we’d all stuff down a slice of pie and a turkey sandwich with Miracle Whip before returning home.

Gramps passed away in early 1981, and we’d bring Grandma to our house for Thanksgiving after that. In time, as my brother and I grew up and got busy with our own lives, Thanksgiving became downscaled at my parents' house - they would make a small turkey breast and a few trimmings, and take a care package to Grandma at the assisted living center. But for all intents and purposes, we kids were released (too easily?) to create our own holiday traditions with our new respective families.

I now have spent Thanksgiving with the Hub’s family for many seasons. We have compounded a whole new collection of holiday memories and traditions and dishes (wouldn't Gramps marvel at the concept of a deep fried turkey!), have watched our families grow, and now celebrate Incrediboy’s birthday at the same time of year. Though dynamics have changed vastly (for me in particular), Thanksgiving still holds its special blessings each time it rolls around and the happy memories of my past intermingle with tomorrow's memories being made now.

This time of year is always bittersweet for me, though. Grandma died a few years ago, and while I have not spent the holiday with her in many years, it is still strange to know she’s no longer with us.

All the more reason to strive at making these wonderful moments ones which will be looked back on fondly by Incrediboy, Hub and myself, and the rest of our ever-evolving family. In future years, I will give extra thought to the work and the joy going into and coming out of these times. May our own chatter and clatter echo those of my Grandparents’ home on those Thanksgivings of many years ago, and do so with justice.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

My DearBlog Friends ~
May your tummies be full, May your relatives be tolerable, and may your hearts be free from want this Thanksgiving!
XOXO ~ Clew

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny you should say that about the relatives...my SIL and I just had a recent conversation about all the anticipatory squabbles that are going to ensue over holiday dinner at their home...it never fails....something always happens that ends with two people not talking with each other for months or at least until the next Thanksgiving!!!! Many blessisngs toyou and your family...and hopefully no squabbles;)

Martie said...

Thanks, Clewie! Wish you were coming this way for the holiday....enjoy the day, love your family and find something to be thankful for. I'm sure you won't have any problems there!!!

chesneygirl said...

Happy Thanksgiving, my sis!! :)

This year I am thankful for finding you, actually getting to MEET you and the start of our life-long friendship. :)

LOVE YOU!!

ramblin' girl said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Clew!

Nelly said...

Happy Thanksgiving Clew! I 2nd ches' comment! Thinkin bout ya!

poet said...

hope you have a wonderful thanksgiving holiday. take it easy. poet

Joy said...

Happy Thanksgiving Clew! *hugs*

Nelly said...

Happy Spanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

Here's hoping you have a great one Clew...

Martie said...

fdzxfzMAY YOUR STUFFING BE TASTY, MAY YOUR TURKEY BE PLUMP.
MAY YOUR POTATOES 'N GRAVY HAVE NARY A LUMP,
MAY YOUR YAMS BE DELICIOUS,
MAY YOUR PIES TAKE THE PRIZE,
MAY YOUR THANKSGIVING DINNER
STAY OFF OF YOUR THIGHS.

Happy Thanksgiving....love ya!

Anonymous said...

HA! Martie is goofy but I can't help but like her! :)

Hope you and your family had a great T-Day Clew!

Sunny said...

Loved your story. My grandparents lived 1400 miles away, but Mom always made the four of us a great Thanksgiving meal. I have her recipes but never do they taste the same as when she made them. Now she and my Dad are in St. George Utah and we're still in Texas, so Thanksgiving for my kiddoes, without Mom's great cooking. Somehow they survived mine! ;)

Glad yours was a good one.