Thursday, April 20, 2006

The Canine Design

"It had been (my dog)'s job to raise me. All that time we had been having fun, going for walks, getting into trouble, being companions and friends in some great adventure. And I had spent so much time teaching him to sit, stay, lie down, roll over. But all along, he had been teaching me. It is the child that makes the man, and in this case it was a dog. All along it had been the dog doing the teaching, not me. How do you like that? And I love him for it ... and will for the rest of my life."

- Carlo De Vito
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Anyone who knows me, knows I love my dog to a ridiculous degree. He is my 4 footed son. I love dogs in general, and I firmly believe that anyone who doesn’t like dogs has a serious defect in their wiring.

Dog is God spelled backwards. Have you ever noticed? Probably a random coincidence of English language – as I’m sure this wouldn’t apply in all other tongues. But that is a delightful and poignant little thing to me. Dogs are uniquely special creatures, purposefully designed to hold a precious place in the hearts and lives of mankind. And as in all blessed relationships, the rewards outweigh the annoyances so greatly that the aggravations fade into the shadows before they even brand your heart with a grudge.

Having a dog in your life will award you with the world’s sweetest gifts and most understated lessons. As touched upon in the quote above, we have as much to be taught from them as they have from us, if not moreso. Most Beautiful Dog shows us every day that joy is not only simply found but so easily attainable. He is thrilled to see us whether we’ve been gone all day or only for a few moments behind the bathroom door. He is always up for romping and playing, and is never hesitant about showing his emotions honestly. He senses when we are sad, and responds with gentle quiet sympathy. He’s unpretentious and never puts on airs. And most importantly, if we are harsh with him, he doesn’t hold it against us – he immediately apologizes with a sorrowful gaze of his dazzling amber eyes, and then works on making friends again.

I wish I could be half the good person Most Beautiful Dog is. I try to follow his examples in my interactions with others, though I usually fall short.

Our biggest problem with Most Beautiful Dog is getting him to come when we call. We have taught him to sit, lie down, roll over, even “pray” - but can we teach him to come when we call? No-o-o-o-o! He doesn't come when we call. He only comes when he thinks what we’re doing right now is more exciting than what he's doing right now.

I’d love for MBDog to come when I call him. It’s recently occurred to me that maybe he’s teaching me another lesson. I don’t always listen to my Master, either.

14 comments:

Itchy said...

I knew I liked you for a reason. :P

I wish I had some good tips on how to train MBD to come when called. Mine only do it half the time...but they are getting better. Mostly I try to act as if I'm the most exciting thing in that yard...and I carry treats with me. That helps. But this is why they are never off leash when not in a fenced area.

Reading your post made me smile...and wish my dogs were here for me to hug. Thanks!

Martie said...

When we were training Prancer to "come", we had her on a leash and when we called "come" to her we gently pulled the leash so she had to come to us and then praised her and rewarded her with a treat. She always comes when called now....even if on the track of a bunny rabbit!

Rebecca said...

WOW.
Maybe your best post ever....
Beautifully written..... :)

Tracy said...

Great Post! I can't get my bassett hound, Guinness to listen to one damn thing, but he loves us so much. When we get home he practicaly kills himself trying to get to us so we can pet him! Dogs also know when you need them. They are the most comforting things in life. I love my husband, but Guinness will snuggle up to me and not make a peep. He is a wonderful dog, still in training (he doesn't listen for anything....well maybe a treat), but we would never trade him for the world!

Michelle said...

Yes, another great post from the brilliant mind of Clew.

I don't claim to know everything, but I do know you, and MBD knows that his punishment for not coming on command is pretty much void. Seriously, he knows you're a sucker. Why do you think he looks at you the way he does. He's out there laughing it up with all his kanine buddies.

i used to be me said...

Those last 3 sentences...excellent, just perfect.

I think my dog has been trying to teach me the same lesson.

Bainwen Gilrana said...

Goodness, Clew, this could be a sermon-- a good one!

Anonymous said...

No problem with our little Jack Russell Terrorist (she has far too much energy). When she gets out without a lease, we get a tennis ball and bounce it. She zooms back and wants the ball. I think it is like a drug. lol If we throw many balls out at a time, she tries to corral them all. It makes for a too funny scenario.

I wish I always came back to the Master that fast and soon. :O(

Anonymous said...

I cannot wait to become a dog momma! :)

4evergapeach said...

I loved your post. Especially the way you ended it. I recently thought about posting about my dogs.

Thanks for visiting and your comment gave me my laugh for the day! - Thanks

juanitagf said...

Excellent!

Nelly said...

Agree 100%! Love animals, especially dogs. We don't have one only because we are never home during the day and that isn't fair to a dog. I like the ending!

Ame said...

It takes a heart tender and sensitive to Him to see tender, little truths like this :)

Lainey said...

How beautiful!

I am so thankful for my little doxie, Elvis.