Saturday, April 02, 2011

Burley-Belly (A/Z)

For the A to Z Challenge - Letter B.

Here's a fun (and possibly funny) fact about me for those who didn't know: I love bellydancing. I wanted to learn since I was a teenager, and for the past few years I've been taking the occasional class and have amassed a "few" (ahem) DVDs focusing on learning the art.

To be honest I suck at it. But I don't really care. I have fun trying, and it's a deceptively demanding workout. Best of all it makes me feel great about myself - something I haven't felt enough of.

I spent the afternoon today doing a Burley-Belly Fusion Workshop. As the name suggests, it fused the sensual fluid movements of bellydance with the flirty sauciness of classic burlesque performance. (No stripping, just teasing.)

It was an absolute blast. We had so much fun bringing out our playful sides, but man did we work hard, too. The snake arms, shimmies and concentrated hipwork are already stiffening up my poor old muscles - but it's a sweet sultry pain.

And I felt like a superstar, no matter how ridiculous I looked.

3 comments:

Stacy said...

You're gorgeous and have the right build for belly dancing. I won't believe you looked anything but fabulous!

mymy said...

good for you! oohhh, have always wanted to try belly-dancing...just don't know if my body can take it. lol.

mymy
My bric-a-brac

Kathy said...

Good for you being so brave and glad you're having fun at it too. I've often thought about it but never actually tried...maybe now I will.
Great take on the "B" too. love it!

I found you with the 'surprise me' button and am a new follower.
I'd love if you'd check out my take on the Challenge, comment and follow, if you'd like.
I'm at:
http://oaklawnimages.blogspot.com/

Kathy at Oak Lawn Images